5 Reasons to see Bat Out of Hell
Posted on 13 April 2018
If you’re already a fan of this hit musical then you’re going to be delighted that it’s back to take the West End by storm once again. And if you’re new to it like I was, then you’re in for a thrilling ride. Fans of Meat Loaf are bound to flock to this show, excited to hear all the hits, but there’s so much more to it than just great numbers. It’s the rock and roll, dystopian Footloose you never knew you wanted and here are just 5 reasons why you should make Bat Out of Hell your next musical.
- Staging - So, the West End isn’t without its magnificent sets. Sets are all about the visuals and the impact you can make without distracting from what’s actually going on on-stage. Well, Bat Out of Hell nails this. The power of the show shines through but that isn’t to say that this stage isn’t awe-striking. It changes effortlessly to adapt to each scene, even though it is of such great scale. For theatre fans who appreciate the technical side of a production, this is definitely a must see.
- Cast - Talent shines from each and every member of this vast cast. With a musical comes the singing and dancing on top of the acting and in this show, each aspect is as strong as the last, as is each actor. You will be blown away left, right and centre, so hold onto your chair, especially when they hit the big notes. When watching this musical, you will be completely captivated, and a tad overwhelmed by the sheer talent of this cast. Each one of them is a star of the show, all amazing in their own right.
- Props & Effects - Often budgets restrict the creative team, do they focus more on the set or compensate with flashy effects and props. Well, this musical certainly didn’t choose either and went straight in for both, taking the phrase ‘go big or go home’ quite literally as they pulled out all the stops to put on a show you won’t be forgetting anytime soon. The props and effects lent perfectly to the staging, each accentuating the other. This is one musical that knows how to add the wow factor.
- Story - When you think of the big “jukebox musicals” the selling point is usually that they have taken songs from a band or artist, but don’t put Bat Out of Hell in that box just yet. The story is truly one that will have your jaw hanging open and your heart racing in your chest. Set in 2030, its the grunge Rockstar version of Peter Pan that will have you gripped. The tale of this musical certainly plays a huge role in why this musical has known such immense success.
- Music - This goes without saying really but this list wouldn’t be complete without it. Such timeless songs as the hits from Meat Loaf have been loved for decades and this musical ensures that this love goes on. The musical takes these huge ballads and leases life into them again and again with each performance. Each number plays its part in the story and the cast certainly do these classics justice.
Bat Out of Hell is playing at London's Dominion Theatre through 28 July. You can book Bat Out of Hell tickets here.